Aiding Patients Through A Challenging Time
Designed to reduce the amount of time, anxiety and inconvenience a woman experiences from the moment she discovers a breast abnormality, through diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up, the JFK Women’s Diagnostic Center developed its Nurse Navigator Program. Our breast patient navigators are certified in imaging and cancer by the National Consortium of Breast Centers. They serve as patient advocate and educator, providing information and reassurance during the treatment decision process, identifying hospital and community resources, coordinating appointments among numerous specialties, and assessing the psychological needs of the diagnosis and treatment.
The Nurse Navigator delivers a wide range of services to patients, including:
- Providing support for the patient prior to, during, and after treatment.
- Assessing the needs of the patient and their family to be able to make appropriate referrals.
- Providing education, facts, and resources and assisting with researching the latest information and changes in breast health and breast cancer.
- Facilitating physician recommendations.
- Assisting the patient and their family in understanding and coping with emotional and social needs that accompany breast cancer.
- Educating the patient about valuable support groups available in the area.
- Assisting in identifying useful products, including post-operative garments, such as camisoles, bras and other post-mastectomy products.
- Serving as a member of your breast “Care Team” and is present at the biopsy result appointment.
- Assists with referrals for genetic counseling and testing for breast cancer gene.
- Offering information on clinical trials.
Hackensack Meridian Health
JFK Medical Center
65 James Street
Edison, NJ 08820
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Screening evenings)
Wednesday: 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. (Diagnostic evenings)
Friday: 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. – 12 noon