In This Section
I Want To ...
For information in...
Find a Physician
From a family practitioner to the most sophisticated neurologists, JFK Medical Center's staff includes some of the most highly respected physicians in the northeast. For a referral to a JFK physician, click here.
JKF Medical Center Goes Red for Women to Support the American Heart Association
JFK Medical Center staff wore red in honor of Wear Red Day on Feb 3, 2017 to promote awareness for women and heart health. Women’s heart attack symptoms differ from men’s, as does their heart health risk.
Go Red for Women is a national movement promoted by the American Heart Association to wear red in February to encourage all women to schedule a doctor’s visit to learn their personal health numbers including Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Blood Sugar and Body Mass Index (BMI) and assess their risk for heart disease and stroke. While women cannot control age, gender, family history, race or medical history, they can control these with lifestyle changes:
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Lack of regular activity
- Obesity or overweight
Women should be aware of the symptoms of a heart attack, as they differ from those of men. Women’s heart attack symptoms include:
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest. It lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
- As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort.
- Women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.
At JFK Medical Center, there are more options than ever before for treating cardiovascular illnesses. The Cardiovascular Center at JFK Medical Center provides a full compliment of the most cutting-edge diagnostic and treatment options.
About JFK Medical Center
JFK Medical Center is a non-profit, 498-bed full-service hospital with a reputation as one of New Jersey’s premier health care providers. Located in the heart of Edison, NJ, it has remained at the forefront of quality care in the region since its inception in 1967. With more than 1,000 affiliated physicians, JFK offers a complete array of advanced services including general and specialized surgery, emergency medicine, mental health, orthopedics, maternity and pediatric care. It is home to two world renowned institutes: the JFK Neuroscience Institute and the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute, as well as JFK Haven Hospice, JFK Imaging & Breast Center and the Center for Wound Healing. For more information regarding JFK Medical Center and its affiliates, please visit www.jfkmc.org.